Explore The Wildlife of Northern Vancouver Island
Explore The Wildlife of Northern Vancouver Island
Sea Otter Viewing and Whale Watching Tour
Spend the day exploring the wildlife rich waters, islands and shores off northern Vancouver Island. Search for sea otters, humpback whales, orcas, Dall’s porpoises, Pacific white-side dolphins, Steller sea lions, bald eagles and a multitude of sea birds. Surrounded by sea and cedar trees, connect with the breathtaking beauty of the natural world.
Our signature 5 ½ to 6 hour tour showcases the unparalleled waters of the Pacific Northwest. The speed of our vessel allows us to cover a large area and provides us with greater opportunities to see as much wildlife as possible. We may not see all the above animals on every trip but our guides are well acquainted with the local waters and the best places to see wildlife. If a slightly shorter tour is more of what you are looking for consider our Evening Wildlife Viewing tour.
Departs daily at 10:00 am
From June 1 to October 3
5 ½ to 6 Hour Tour
$245 CAD per adult
$225 CAD per child
$1695 CAD private charter
- Minimum age of 8 years old. All passengers 18 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tours depart from Coastal Rainforest Safari’s office at 7185 Market Street in Port Hardy, BC on Northern Vancouver Island.
- Please arrive 30 minutes before the tour’s departure time to be outfitted in floater suits and sign a waiver. At the office, your guide will provide a safety briefing plus an overview of the tour and area we will be exploring. The boat is docked a short one minute walk from our office.
- The open zodiac style vessel has comfortable bench seating and has a small on-board toilet.
- While there is comfortable seating for 12 passengers, our scheduled tours are limited to only eight guests – two people per bench seat so no one needs to sit in the middle. On private charters, you may choose to have as many twelve passengers.
- Zodiac style boats are not suitable for people with a history of back or neck injuries, recent surgery, or are pregnant.
- Please dress warmly. You will be provided with flotation suits, warm hats, and binoculars.
- Plenty of wildlife photography opportunities are available but please do not bring tripods on board.
- Lunch and warm drinks are provided on our 5 ½ to 6 hour tours.
Spectacular wildlife experience Wow, did this trip deliver! Although the weather did not fully co-operate, we saw 2 black bears, hundreds of sea lions, 20+ sea otters, 2 minke whales, 28 northern resident orcas, 4 humpback whales, and Dall porpoises .
Organization of the trip was very good and their equipment excellent.
Covid-19 practices were also very good.
An amazing birthday present! I had an incredible day on the water viewing wildlife with Coastal Rainforest Safaris! I enjoyed the scenery and all the amazing wildlife, especially the whales. The staff were knowledgeable and followed all the recommendations for COVID-19 protocol. Lunch was delicious and I felt comfortable and safe on the water. It was a wonderful day and I highly recommend... read morediannehL3443RJ
Otters Everywhere!! Our day on the water with guide Tommy Child was amazing - his professionalism, traditional knowledge, and the abundance of wildlife made for an epic day. We set out of Port Hardy in a fog bank but were quickly clear of it and learning about ancient First Nations use of all that the land and waters had to offer.
We were... read moreAJWheel
Be awed and inspired by the beauty of nature What an amazing experience. We were treated to sightings of numerous humpback whales, stellar sea lions, porpoises, and sea otters. Our guide was knowledgeable of the area and wildlife. If you get the opportunity to go on a tour, I recommend you don’t pass it up!zoeelaine83
Fun, informative and professional We had a wonderful time today with Andrew our guide, visiting the islands, coves and waters around Port Hardy. Andrew (one of the owners of the company) was a terrific host and guide, as he was very safety oriented, respectful of the wildlife and knowledgeable about the area. We saw Humpback whales, sea otters, sea lions, seals, bald eagles and... read moreNorthVanPat
Lifetime experience I highly recommend doing a tour with Coastal Rainforest Safaris! They obey the Covid-19 rules and It was a pleasure to listen to Mike. Beside the tour he also told us more about life in the sea and Indigenous history. We really enjoyed and Mike made sure we took great photos!Quest262151
Outstanding sea otter and wildlife tour with Coastal Rainforest Safaris! We had a fabulous wildlife tour with Andrew! We saw dozens of sea otters, Dall's porpoises, humpback whales, stellar sea lions, seals, and orcas! Andrew is an excellent and knowledgeable guide, who went the extra mile (many miles, actually!) to locate a large pod of orcas that had been spotted in the area. It was such as bonus to see... read moredebr832
A great tour of local wildlife! I took the 6hr tour from 10-4 and it was great. I don't expect any guides to produce wildlife for guests. I just expect that they put us in a position to see wildlife using their knowledge of the area. In this case our guide fully delivered. We saw a large pod of orcas, sea otters, 5-6 humpback whales, pacific... read moreJustin C.
Incredible day on the water! Loved the small boat experience, only 8 of us passengers and it was perfect - we all had prime seating, and the ability to move around and to chat with the guide. Our guide (/owner) Andrew was incredibly knowledgable about the area, the wildlife, the history, and daily life. He led us on a 6-hour tour through open channels and... read morePamDuyn